Here are some "Timely & Relevant" resources from Discovery Education for the month of March 2023. March is full of celebrations and we’ve got plenty of timely, engaging resources to share! Be sure to log into your instance of Discovery Education before clicking on the links below.
Timely Content for March
- Save time with the DE March Newsletter for a curated list of resources that support timely events like Women's History Month, International SEL Day, Read Across American Day, and much more! Click on the image to open the newsletter
- March is Women’s History Month! - Explore the Women in History channel to see some of the impacts that pioneering women have had politically, in STEAM, sports, leadership, and more. These grades 3-5 and grades 6-8 Teacher Choice Boards are a fantastic way to explore Women’s History Month in DE.
- International SEL Day takes place on March 11th - The Social-Emotional Learning Center is your spot for content, professional learning, and instructional strategies like writing prompts and quizzes on effective communication, playing fair, and peer responsibility. Two great areas for K-5 are Amazing Me & Soar With Wings and check out resources for grades 6-12 in the Social-Emotional Learning Center.
- Read Across America Day (3/2) – This virtual experience includes Alice Walker reading the book and talking about the book-writing process, as well as illustrator Quim Torres discussing the illustration process—in Spanish! There's no other way to say it - Vooks (storybooks that are animated) are flat out awesome. Check out the tailored activities that go along with each Vook to celebrate reading!
Explore DE's ready-to-use activities These time-saving activities can be used as-is or modified to meet the needs of their classroom! From Background Builders to Sentence Fix-Its to Choice Boards and more – teachers can find quick grab and go resources to use anytime in the Instructional Activities Channel.
There you’ll find the recent Activity Calendars, such as these for March, for Grades K-2 and Grades 3-5. Use them as they are or make your own copy to edit and share.
SOS March Madness Challenge
- Looking to kickstart awareness in your school or district? Use this fun bracket challenge to introduce instructional strategies that engage students in digital media resources in creative ways!
- SOS of the month – Can You Guess My 214? Focusing on developing inference skills, students make evidence-based statements that lead them to logical conclusions about current or upcoming content.
March 20th is the first day of spring and business is blooming!
- Our Seasonal Change channel has you covered - view this short video on these changes and then pair it with one of our Instructional Strategies like XO Let’s Go to make summarizing the video a fun activity!
National Drug & Alcohol Facts Week is March 20-26th
- Explore no-cost prevention programs like Dose of Knowledge that helps educate students on making good decisions and Operation Prevention that help kickstart life-saving conversations for educators, students, and families.
Day of Discovery
- DE is launching a local Days of Discovery this Spring! Perhaps you are interested in participating person, and perhaps also interested in presenting to the group in one of our breakout sessions. The regional day will be on Saturday, March 11 in Downingtown, PA Register here.
Information compiled in this update was provided by our partners at Discovery Education