In a partnership designed to support both the significant emotional/mental health needs and education needs of students, Community Services Group (CSG) and Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13 (IU13) developed the School-based Partial Hospitalization Program. Both agencies will coordinate services to seamlessly complement and support each other in providing a successful therapeutic and educational environment for enrolled students.
What is a School-based Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
Our School-based Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is designed for children ages 13 to 21 years old whose needs cannot be met in a traditional classroom setting or by a lower level of care. This weekday program provides a blend of therapeutic and educational services provided to children in a group setting includes a multi-disciplinary team approach to treatment.
Services are designed to promote:
- Problem-solving skills and appropriate coping skills
- Improvement of overall mental wellness
- Successful return to a lower level of care and to the child’s home school district
- Daily education support with certified and highly trained staff, to help students remain on track with their educational needs
The PHP operates year-round and referrals are accepted from a variety of sources:
- Mental health professionals
- School districts
- Mental health case managers
- Managed care organizations
Medical necessity for admission is based on the following criteria:
- 13 to 21 years old with a current DSM/ICD diagnosis
- History of multiple mental health treatment services
- Previous treatment has proven unsuccessful
- Longer-term partial hospitalization treatment is clinically recommended
- Extensive symptoms across multiple settings (significant verbal/physical aggression, history of self-harm or suicidal ideation, and/or significant trauma)
- Family systems issues that have an impact on the child’s mental health symptoms and behaviors, and affect family functioning and stability
- Transition from an inpatient hospitalization program
- Do not present an immediate risk of harm to themselves or others.
The PHP Team
A team of certified medical professionals and education professionals deliver weekday (5 day) program which provides individual, group, and family therapies, as well as educational programming.
- Clinical Team: Program director, psychiatrist, nurse, mental health professionals and mental health workers
- Educational Team: Program Supervisor, SEC, teachers, paras, school psychologist, social workers, and access to itinerant professionals (i.e., speech therapist), as needed.
Download our flyer.